Monday, August 1, 2011

S's Favorite Sun Screens

I'm super paranoid about skin protection given the high rates of skin cancer and early aging, so on days (even during winter) that I know I will be outside in the sun for a while I like to put sunscreen on to prevent burning or any sun damage that might bite me in the ass later!

One thing that was difficult for me was that sunscreens make my face look REALLY shiny and oily. I have dry skin, but on my face I have some really oily areas, and I didn't want to look like a trophy walking around with makeup and oily sunscreen in the summer. I saw on Temptalia's blog that she reviewed the Kiehl's SPF 50 sunscreen and said it had a good finish. I got it right away and the best thing about this is that it feels like a silicone makeup primer, and dries with no shine at all! I'm not 100% sure if you could use it as a base for foundations, but I have been wearing it underneath blush/bronzer and it looks fine. The lady at Kiehl's told me that you only need a nickel-sized amount for your entire face, so this will last a long time too!



On the rest of my body I like to use La Roche Posay High Protection SPF 60 UVA/UVB Cream. This is great because the cream is thick, so you can still feel it hours late and know that it didn't wear off. It doesn't leave a white cast as long as it's massaged into the skin. I know there's debate out there as to whether or not higher SPF's really make a difference, but  it doesn't matter to me. Another one I like for the body is the Vichy SPF 60 which comes in similar packaging (white and orange squeeze tube). And yes that is sunscreen underneath my nails, ha ha ha 


Some tips for wearing sunscreen:
- Apply your sunscreen 15-30 mins before you know you're going to be outside. 
- Remember to cover the neck, ears, hands, and feet! Those are areas that are commonly missed but are still exposed. 
- If you're not a fan of wearing hats (like me), dab some sunscreen on where your hair parts. I have naturally dark hair and sometimes I've noticed that my scalp is really badly burned where my hair was parted. 

What are your favourite sunscreens?

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online